I’ve passed on articles before from David Lewis’ blog hosted on his website, http://paracletos.org. Dave and his wife, Irene, are excellent missionary caregivers and have a beautiful care center called, Baan Sa’bai.
I’m introducing them again because every Friday, Dave’s post is packed full of summaries of articles posted in other missionary care blogs. Each week I’m finding one or two articles others are writing that impact me. This is a highly valuable resource!
So if you are a missionary in active duty, ministering to missionaries through your home church or sending agency, or a missionary caregiver — sign-up for Dave’s blog and start to follow it for a pile of resources to help you where you’re at!
Here’s an entry that came off his latest blog for those of us who have MKs:
Great resources for those raising or working with MKs
(Thanks to the folks at Missions Catalyst for posting this.)
Are you a parent serving cross-culturally? Maybe your church or ministry supports or partners with families serving internationally. One of my colleagues at Pioneers (Tim Smith) who works with families put together this list of his favorite websites and blogs by, for, or about missionary kids (MKs) and other “third-culture” kids (TCKs). These sites will lead you to many other resources, too.
- Michele Phoenix: This popular blog by TCK author and speaker Michele Phoenix includes lots of articles for understanding TCKs.
- TCKid: Site serves as a home for third-culture kids of all ages.
- The Mama Bear Effect: Site focuses on building stronger families and protecting children from sexual abuse.
- Slurping Soup: True stories and activities to help TCKs through transition.
- Cross Cultural Kids Blog: Ruth Van Reken’s website for cross-cultural kids, about whom Ruth Van Reken and David Pollock “wrote the book.”
- Taylor Joy Murray: Insightful blog of a 17-year old TCK from Japan.
- Empowered to Connect: Site from Dr. Karyn Purvis on adoption and attachment is not directly about TCKs but excellent for any parent wanting to connect with their child.
- Among Worlds: Learn what TCKs may become through this publication for adult TCKs. A related blog is no longer being updated but includes interesting articles and links.
- Denizen: Check out this (secular) online magazine by and for TCKs.
- A Life Overseas: This popular multi-voice mission blog isn’t just for mission families, but it covers issues that concern them.