There are a lot of personal security challenges out there today as you travel and live here and there around the globe. Here’s another ‘threat’ of which to be aware. This info comes from Greg Gulleson of “Good Neighbor Insurance” serving missionaries.
First is a video created by Good Neighbor on YouTube to describe the threat of the use of ‘date rape drugs’ in order to steal from, and kidnap tourists and overseas workers.
Second, be aware there is a real risk to travelers, and not just in dodgy areas, but in upscale places like the Arab Gulf, Jamaica, Europe, etc. So far, the reported cases of date rape and reported cases of theft using date rape drugs have mostly come from the above areas, as well as Africa and Russia.
Lastly, these drugs are colorless, tasteless, and odorless. They are also available and very cheap across many countries. They can easily be slipped into your water or drinks.
Here’s How to Protect Yourself . . .
- Travel with emergency medical treatment and evacuation insurance including theft.
- If you suspect you’ve been a victim of a crime, even when in a drugged state, immediately call your insurance to learn where to get tests done. Call the police.
- Do not accept opened water or drinks unless you trust the person giving it to you. Cases are most often being reported at hotels and resorts involving staff on site, as well as taxis, clubs and nightspots.
- Do not allow others to buy you drinks or offer you drinks unless you personally witness them being prepared. Ask for sealed bottles of water or soda, more difficult to drop a drug into.
- Depending on the Hotel, do not use room service and require sealed drinks.